Naturopathic medicine is a unique profession of health care now available through Tulsa Spine and Rehab’s Sara Gomendi, that emphasizes prevention and the promotion of optimal health through the use of natural therapeutics. The philosophy is based on six principles:
- The healing power of nature. The body has an inherent ability to establish, maintain, and restore health.
- Identify and treat the cause. Naturopathic doctors seek to identify and remove the underlying causes of an illness, rather than suppress presenting symptoms.
- First do no harm. Naturopathic doctors use the least invasive, non-toxic therapies to minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- Doctor as teacher. A doctor’s most important role is to educate and encourage each patient to take responsibility for their health.
- Treat the whole person. Naturopathic doctors treat the whole person by taking into consideration one’s physical, emotional, spiritual, mental, genetic, environmental, and social factors.
- Preventative medicine. A Naturopathic doctor’s ultimate goal is to prevent disease; they are specifically trained to assess risk factors and hereditary susceptibilities and make the appropriate interventions.
Naturopathic Doctors like Sara hold a doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine from one of four accredited Naturopathic medical schools. The four-year post-graduate training consists of comprehensive study of the conventional medial sciences, including: anatomy, physiology, pathology, microbiology, immunology, clinical and physical diagnosis, laboratory diagnosis, cardiology, gastroenterology, gynecology, etc. The education is unique in that Naturopathic Doctors complete extensive academic and clinical education in the use of natural medicines including clinical nutrition, homeopathic medicine, botanical medicine, physical medicine, and counseling. Naturopathic Doctors take a national board exam, the Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Exam (NPLEX). The expertise of Naturopathic Doctors is an invaluable resource to the community as lifestyle and nutrition consultants.